Multimedia is combined use of virtual tools to influence change and awareness. It’s interactive and stimulating to extend reach and potentially motivate some form of change individually and systemically.
Take a look at the use of the ice bucket challenge and its catalyst in bringing awareness and donations to ALS. A catchy but simple idea (pouring iced water) and its use of multimedia can extend your reach around the world very quickly. As mentioned by Anthony Veneziale in this week’s video, producing a video under 3 minutes with a clear takeaway is key just like this here.
Another key indicator that you did well in your multimedia campaign is if you can engage Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and the impersonator of President Obama.
NOW IMAGINE SEEING ALL THESE PUBLIC FIGURES DO THIS LIVE: A whole new level of engagement in Periscope which is a new tool bought by Twitter for live streaming where viewers/followers can experience and witness interactions in real time! Don’t you want to watch Ryan Gosling (or whoever your fantasy movie star is) pour cold water (or something more drought friendly) in real time and talk with him right after?! Periscope has such functionality! Imagine the power it harnesses in the world of public health.
Some recommendations to Periscope:
- Catchy Title: Viewers have short attention span, make it interesting enough for them to click on it.
- Easy to Find: This is through Twitter, therefore turn Twitter sharing on to allow your followers to find it.
Current Ways Periscope is used in Public Health:
- Live streaming of health procedures (of course after gaining informed consent of patients) to educate about general health issues and preventative measures/medical procedures to resolve it. Viewers can comment or ask questions after.
- Live streaming of health topic sessions where different health topics are introduced and viewers can ask real time questions.
- Live streaming of public health events: 2 MDs drove cross-country in a Tesla to discuss men’s issues and hosts funny, interactive broadcasts of it through Periscope!
Check out actual cases that illustrates each of the above bullet points here.